25 April 2016

SCREEN PRINTING: BIRDIE

I have been doing a screen printing (serigraphy, if you prefer) course since the beginning of January at The Putney School of Art and Design in south-west London. It has been great fun and is highly addictive, although perhaps a little bit messy for my-OCD-self.

I won't go into detail about what screen printing involves, as I will be here all day. However, it is basically making an image using a series of stencils - in different colour layers - using any of several different techniques. I suppose you could say that it is a  bit like Photoshop but without the need for a computer.

This was one of the first prints I created. I was not very happy with it, but it is now starting to grow on me. However, if I were to repeat it, I would approach it in a very different way. But then again, we learn from our mistakes. The thing I do like very much about the process is that the prints that have not turned out particularly well can be transformed into something completely different using other media and techniques.

MIXED MEDIA: WATERCOLOURS, PROMARKERS AND BLACK PAINT PEN FOR LINE WORK 

MIXED MEDIA: WATERCOLOURS AND COLOURS ADJUSTED USING PHOTOSHOP

MIXED MEDIA SCREEN PRINT: WATERCOLOURS AND PROMARKERS

SCANNED SCREEN PRINT TRANSFORMED USING PHOTOSHOP

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Leave your comment below.