04 July 2015

PHOTOGRAPHY: DUNGENESS

Dungeness is the southernmost point on the Kent coast. I had not been there since I was a very small child, so was quite looking forward to visiting it again. However, things did not go according to plan and I had to do a lot more walking than I anticipated (a roundabouts way of saying I got lost), which was not particularly pleasant in boiling hot conditions.

Getting there:

  • Easy option:  Given its remote position, the easiest way of getting there is by car, which is not such good news if you do not drive. 
  • Expensive option: Catch the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Light Railway, which offers you a picturesque journey along the Romney Marshes.
  • Cheap but time consuming option: Catch the 102 bus as far as The Pilot Inn in Lydd-on-Sea and walk the short distance to Dungeness headland.


How I got there: 

  • I took the wrong bus in Camber Sands and ended up in Lydd (not to be confused with Lydd-on-Sea).
  • I then had to walk through a huge field (literally teeming with dragonflies and my absolute pet horror, butterflies).
  • I then walked through most of the RSPB Nature Reserve, where I was given proper directions
  • I then walked the 3 or so miles to Lydd-on-Sea, by which time I had lost all will to live, lost interest in seeing anything and, rather irritatingly, had to start making my way back to Folkestone.

What is there:

  • Dungeness Lighthouses
  • Nuclear Power Plants
  • RSPB Nature Reserve
  • The United Kingdom's only desert (enormous shingle beach)
  • Acoustic mirrors in Greatstone


I walked through most of the nature reserve by "acciudent" and only got to the see the power stations and lighthouse, which was rather annoying.



DUNGENESS NUCLEAR POWER STATION

DUNGENESS LIGHTHOUSE

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Leave your comment below.