02 July 2015

PHOTOGRAPHY: AN UNUSUAL VISITOR


Ladybirds are apparently people's favourite type of insects (although if they discovered what they look like in the larval stage, they may reconsider this). In recent years, there has been a decrease in the numbers of the native seven-spotted ladybird, thanks (oxymoron not intended) - in great part - to the success of the larger and more aggressive invasive harlequin species.

While doing some drawing the other day, I was surprised by the appearance of the little chap in the photo... An orange ladybird with white spots. I wasn't even aware that this species existed. At first, I thought it may have been yet another variation of the harlequin ladybird, but upon closer inspection and some investigation, I found out that it was in fact a different species altogether. I was even more surprised to see just how many different types of ladybird there are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Leave your comment below.